President Trump Signs Legislation to Rebuild Our Military
WASHINGTON –Rep. Paul Cook (R-Apple Valley) applauded today’s bill signing by President Trump that begins to fix our long-underfunded military. The bill provides a roughly 10 percent increase in defense spending to meet critical military needs and ensure we keep pace with global threats to our national security. This critical funding ends 8 years of diminishing military strength and readiness due to Obama’s cuts to national defense.
The bill includes several important provisions:
- Provides a 2.4% pay increase for our troops
- Increases troop levels across all services
- Increases readiness funding by $20.4 billion for training, operations and maintenance
- Increases Missile Defense spending by over $3 billion
- Provides a 21 percent increase in defense research and development
- Increases F-35 Stealth Fighters by 20 aircraft to 90 total
- Buys 10 additional Navy F/A-18 Super Hornets
- Includes $23 billion for Navy shipbuilding
Rep. Cook said, “This bill is a critical step in funding the military’s immediate needs while reversing years of underfunding by the previous administration. For too long we’ve asked our troops to do more around the world while cutting their funding. Our troops deserve the best training, the best equipment, and a pay level that matches their commitment and sacrifice to our nation. ”
A member of the House Natural Resources, Armed Services, and Foreign Affairs Committees, Cook served as an infantry officer and retired after 26 years as a Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps. During his time in combat, he was awarded the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.